The Affordable Housing Professionals Certification Program is a cooperative endeavor between the Center for Government Services (CGS) at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey and the Affordable Housing Professionals of New Jersey (AHPNJ). It is a professional development course of study for individuals who work toward the support and provision of affordable housing, covering federally-funded programs as well as the state regulatory program.
The mission of AHPNJ is:
- to promote and enhance professionalism and knowledge in the field by supporting affordable housing through dialogue, ethical standards, education, advocacy and policy guidance;
- to establish “best practices” for housing procedure and protocol in the interrelated fields of administrative agents, architects, developers, property managers, state and municipal employees, non-profit and for-profit corporations, human/social service providers, financial institutions, planners and attorneys;
- to establish resources for professional assistance;
- to promote competency and expertise in the affordable housing industry that is desirable to employers, peers, advocates and clients;
- and to promote compassion in the agencies and individuals that support the provision of affordable housing.
To qualify for the Rutgers/AHPNJ certificate, participants must successfully complete 36 hours of classroom training. Successful completion is defined as 80% attendance of the class hours and a passing grade of 70% or higher on the final examination.
The four required courses total 27 hours. The remaining nine hours are accrued from electives approved by CGS and AHPNJ.
- Introduction to Affordable Housing for NJ Municipalities
- Determining Eligibility for Affordable Housing Programs
- Fair Housing
- Ethics for Affordable Housing Professionals
Approved Elective Courses
- Qualifying Households for Affordable Housing
- Planning and Development of Affordable Housing (offered in Rutgers' NJ Local Housing Authority and Redevelopment Agency Training Program)
- Records Management for Affordable Housing
- Municipal Process for Residential Development
- Best Practices in Affordable Housing
- Practicum on setting Sales Prices and Rental Rates Under UHAC